Friday, January 23, 2009

Inaugural Poem Response

"Praise Song for the Day"
by
Elizabeth Alexander

What I think this poem means to me is that we should still live our lives how we want even if we have a black president. But we should thank the people that came before us that made this happen. For example, without Martin Luther King, Obama would no be president because he wouldn't be able to have rights. Just like the poem stated that
''Say it plain: that many have died for this day.Sing the names of the dead who brought us here,''

This poem made me feel grateful because all of these past people died so we can have rights. The stanza I liked especially was ''A woman and her son wait for the bus. A farmer considers the changing sky.A teacher says, Take out your pencils. Begin.'' I like that stanza because I think it means to just live your life.

No comments: